Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Saturday, September 6, 2008

note: This is the first of several "catching up" posts...I'm entering them chronologically oldest first and dating them in the titles.

When we left Austin, I tossed my old, ratty sneakers. My excuse, other than the fact that they were falling apart? We didn't have any more room in the Yukon and the moving truck (also packed tight) was already gone. So I, um, sacrificed my shoes, figuring that I'd immediately buy new ones once we got here. Well, 2 months and some very sore feet later, we finally got out to go shoe shopping. Jeremy had been to a meeting at the Empire State Building a few days prior, and found that all along 34th Street facing Macy's were many shoe stores. So off we went...

This is an art sculpture installed in the Columbia subway station. The plaque next to it tells its story, but I didn't get a close-up.

We started out by eating lunch at Chipotle at the bottom of the Empire State Building. The boys wanted to actually go up into the building to the observation deck, but we decided to save that for another time. I bought some snazzy (and very comfy) walking shoes at Lady Foot Locker, then we decided to go check out THE Macy's.

The children pose next to a Statue of Liberty replica outside a souvenir shop on 34th Street.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to, um...find the nearest ATM..."

So they can mosey (okay, so New Yorkers don't mosey) across the street and shop at Macy's, "The World's Largest Store."

Most of the gang...

A view of the Empire State Building from the sidewalk in front of Macy's.

Jon and Josh

One of the entrances to Macy's. I love the mix of old and ultra modern architecture in this city!

Macy's was having a "1 Day Sale" so of course I had to peruse all the clearance racks and try on a few cute clothes, even though new clothes aren't really in the budget right now. I decided to be good and not buy anything, so I went to ask an employee when the next sale was going to be. She responded, "Today is the last day of our sale." Um, yeah, which is probably why it's called a one day sale. After a bit of explanation and a few more questions, I finally managed to get the information that their next sale would be the day after Thanksgiving. Well, no thank you. I can only imagine how crazy it must be around here for day-after-Thanksgiving-sales.

I did not, however, walk away empty-handed. I was in dire need of a new frying pan, since the non-stick part of my old one was pretty much shot. After all, I have used it almost daily for about 4 years. I picked up a new one that was $100 marked down to $50 for the sale, and proceeded to the check-out counter. Jordan, my little eagle-eyed boy who is always on the look-out for stray coins on the floor spotted an interesting piece of paper on the floor by the check-out counter and picked it up. It was a coupon for $10 off any purchase of $50 or more, but unfortunately it was only good through 1p.m., and it was already after 3. The cashier offered to take it anyway, which was really nice of her! Jordan, of course, was upset that I wanted to take away his "treasure" when Jon mentioned that it was worth $10. I had to explain to him that it was only worth $10 if he was spending $50. He finally handed it over, and I told him I'd give him a dollar when we got home. (Hmmm, I still need to give him his dollar!)

By the time we left, it was raining hard. Thankfully, we had umbrellas in the basket under the stroller so we were prepared. Of course, a few of our smaller guys would rather just get wet!

A few wet boys descending the escalator into Penn Station.

We had a fun day, even if we did get a little wet, and I'm loving having good shoes for all the walking we do here!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...