Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Random Ramblings of a Tired Mommy...

Today was one of those days where by midway through it, my goal was just to survive 'til bedtime so I could try again tomorrow. Not that I'm really complaining; after all, we did accomplish most of what we needed to do for the day. It was just one of those days.

I woke up this morning with a sinus headache, which with the changing seasons and damp weather lately is not too surprising. Then when I wasn't paying attention someone must've taped a sign on my back that read "Please be noisier and more rambunctious than usual" because that's exactly what the J-boys did most of the morning. While I was doing schoolwork with the older two, Jordan and Joey were dismantling the living room. Really. Like all the couch cushions were on the floor, chairs were rearranged, and about 300 matchbox cars and a zillion little pieces of Playmobil were scattered all over the floor. I gave up at that point and turned over the parenting responsibilities to Mean Grouchy Mommy, and by some miracle or just plain old-fashioned fear of spending the rest of the day confined to their beds, the apartment was clean by lunch time.

The afternoon was much better, mostly because Joey took a loooong nap. It's really sad to say, but things really do run much more smoothly when that child is sleeping! He makes whatever "terrible twos" the others went through look like a walk in the park. He is awfully cute, though. And he definitely uses that to his advantage! Jordan took a good nap as well, and Josh, Jon, and I were able to get all of their school work done.

After dinner, we all played board games together for about an hour, then the children went to bed. Thankfully bed time has gotten easier lately. Jeremy has started putting his iPhone on the dresser in their room playing worship music. They actually lie in bed and listen quietly until they fall asleep. He's been doing that for about a week now. Why didn't we think of that, oh, about 5 years ago?

Jeremy and I played a game of Upwords after the kids went to bed. Upwords is like Scrabble, but you can stack letters on top of existing letters to form new words. I found it at a yard sale before we moved, still in the shrink wrap, for $1. I've bought many of our games that way...gotta love those yard sales! Anyway, I don't think I've ever lost Scrabble or any other word game to Jeremy...until tonight. And I lost badly. See, I need to just go to bed and start over tomorrow! Good night!

4 comments:

Grandma and Peepaw said...

You have the patience of a saint. To actually play a game with the kids after having a bad morning is highly commendable. You are such a great mommy.

Michele Force said...

Hi Jenny,

I need your e-mail address so I can answer the question you asked in your comment...

Also - what an adorable family you have! We had to stop at the 3 boys (all M's) because I'm getting much too old for this!! :)

e-mail me at mgf@forceworld.com.
-Michele

G. said...

I have days like that alot...and I NEVER win at scrabble or upwords. Kent pretty much has to force me to play because I know I will lose and it will get rubbed in my face. Oh well. :) Hope you have a better day tomorrow!

Kansas Mom said...

I think I have days like this all the time!

A few years ago my husband and I left Brooklyn for Kansas and now we're trying to start a little farm. I've enjoyed reading your blog because it reminds me so much of what life used to be like (though at the time we only had one baby, so a bit different).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...