Thursday, February 9, 2012

$1 Ribbon Spool to Adorable Korker Bow

I love the dollar bins at Target. I'm always picking up little things for the kids, either for holiday goodies or for school activities. Sometimes I have a specific use in mind; other times I'm just "collecting" until the fancy strikes to actually use these things!

For the past few holidays and seasons, they have had these little spools of ribbon. I've picked them up each time, mostly because they're so darn cute, but I've never actually USED them for anything...until yesterday, when I made a sweet little korker bow for my girly-girl. I took pictures of the process, so y'all could follow along and maybe even make some for the princesses in your life.



Cute Target Valentine's Day ribbon--6 different prints, 18" each.



Wrap ribbons on 1/4" diameter wooden dowels and secure with oven-safe clips.



Bake at 275 degrees for 20-25 minutes.



Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes until you can handle them comfortably, then remove clips and slide ribbons off dowels.



Cut ribbons--I cut mine every 5th curl, which ends up being about 3" long. You will want to seal the ends to prevent fraying. While I heat-seal the ribbons for the other bows I make, I find that it is easier to use Fray-Check on korkers.



Thread a needle (I used 2 strands of embroidery floss) and thread the ribbons through the center onto the needle, keeping them all on the needle as you go.






Pinch the ribbons together at the center, then pull the needle through. I sewed through the whole stack a few times, then secured with a couple small knots at the back (or bottom) of the stack.



Glue onto a lined clip.


And get ready for uber-cuteness!



Miss Joanna modeling HER bow. She immediately lays claim to all bows and other girly things as I make them, lol!




Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...