Thursday, March 26, 2009

Making Peanut Butter!

This is something I've been wanting to try for a while, and seeing Annalia's post on making peanut butter with her children inspired me to take photos and blog it! Thanks, Lia!

Now that I have my amazing Vita-mix, I've been experimenting with all sorts of great things to do with it! Now, in addition to baby food, hummus, grinding my own wheat, and almost-daily smoothies, I can add peanut butter to the list! But first we had to deal with the peanuts...

I bought them with the shells still on, thinking it would be fun for the boys to shell them. It was, but it was also the BIGGEST MESS I think we've made in a while...and we make some pretty big messes!!

Jonathan, who is allergic to peanuts (not bad allergic, just makes him itchy if he eats them) decided that it would be "safer" to beat them out of their shells with a meat tenderizer. I vetoed that one pretty much right away!


Joey tried several different shelling methods...squeezing really hard...


the "karate chop"... (that's marker on his arm...not wounds, lol!)


Jordan really was having fun...really...


the "relaxed-toes-on-the-table" approach...


the "laying-on-the-floor-under-the-table" attempt...





and finally he decided to just go ahead and use his teeth!


Joshua coined a new word..."demolate." As in "Hey, Jon, want to watch me demolate this peanut?" I tried to convince him that "demolish" was a better choice, but Joshua is already convinced he knows everything!


Ready to be blended...


This picture is awful, but here it is all smooth and creamy!


The first taste-test...yum!


Of course we had pb&j sandwiches for lunch!


That was fun, although I don't think I'll repeat it with peanuts in the shell! Even after sweeping several times, I was still finding bits of peanut shell in random places!! The boys really enjoyed it, though, and the peanut butter was yummy!

2 comments:

Annalia said...

I used to think ,y sister's vita-mix was a bit extravagant, but now that I've started using my blender more, I really want one! My sad blender can't even blend frozen strawberries!

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea!
We'll definately be trying it - maaaaybe even with shells ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...