Monday, August 11, 2008

Figuring out the laundry dilemma

For four weeks now, laundry has been a major headache. You see, all I've ever known is having a washer and dryer in the laundry room in your house. Laundomats, when you could find them, were for washing clothes while traveling, lol. I never realized how spoiled I was to be able to do laundry whenever I wanted to, with minimal disruption to whatever else we were doing.

Here we have a laundry room in the basement of our building (which is GOOD; many buildings don't) that has about 10 washers and dryers. At first I thought this was great, I could do all my laundry at once by going in the middle of a workday when everyone else is at work. Not so, turns out many people in our building have maids who do their laundry during the week. This meant that getting more than one washer at a time is rare, and I'm used to doing about 15 loads a week! We also have limited hours to do laundry: M-Sat. from 8am to 8pm, so no more laundry late at night when the kids are already in bed.

I was dreading doing the laundry today, but it's been over a week and Jeremy just got back from a long trip with a full suitcase of dirties, so I had no choice but to tackle it again. Guess what? I went just after 8am when the laundry room had just been opened, and was able to snag 6 washers. I was done (about 13 loads...I lost count) by about 12:30. Whew! At least now I know when to do laundry...I hope that going first thing in the morning always works and wasn't just a fluke today!

Dragging all the children to and from the basement to switch loads is pretty crazy, but I guess it's just all part of the adventure!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jenny,

Good job on the laundry. Keep adding photos (not of the laundry).

Peepah

Allette said...

Yes, I remember those laundromat days- 8 years in apartments with 3 kids under the age of 5... NOT fun. I applaud you and encourage your Proverbs 31 attitude!

Jenny said...

Wow, Allette! I can't imagine doing laundry this way for 8 years! I guess over time you really get a system down (or go crazy, lol!)
Thanks for your encouragement!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...